This Policy is broken down into several Sections. You can follow the links below to a particular Section, or read the entire policy here.
Table of Contents
Information We Collect on the Site and How We Use It
How We Share Your Information
Communications From the Site and Your Choices
For Persons Outside the United States
I. Information We Collect On the Site and How We Use It
can visit our Web Site and learn about the services we provide without
providing personal information. You do need to provide personal information,
however, to sell, bid on or purchase items, and to participate in our user
forums and other interactive portions of the Site. Certain non-personally
identifiable information, such as IP address, is collected automatically from
every Site visitor, even if not voluntarily provided, as discussed further
We collect and use personal information in the specific ways listed below, and generally to improve our Site and services to you, as well as to meet our legal obligations. We also use personal information you provide for other purposes consistent with the reason you provide such information to us.
1. Registration and Site Activity Information . Our Site's registration process requires users to provide us valid and accurate contact information including name, address, phone number, birth date and email address (collectively, “Registration Information”). For fraud prevention purposes, users electing to provide as their sole email contact an email address from a free email service provider (such as Yahoo!® Mail, Google® Gmail, or Hotmail®) are required to enter credit card information at the time of registration, and the card is verified by authorizing a small amount through the credit card processing networks.
In certain circumstances your registration information may be verified through so-called “credit header” information. You may be required to answer a multiple-choice questionnaire compiled from information managed by consumer and business information sources. These questions can include elements from your financial history. This is done as an identity verification and fraud prevention measure. This verification service is provided by a third party, and we do not collect or store any personal information from this process. All we receive is an indication of how many questions you answered successfully.
We collect certain information submitted during transactions on the Site based on your activities, including bidding, buying and selling, as well as shipping and billing information, and other information you provide in connection with buying or shipping an item (collectively, “Site Activity Information”).We may also collect certain personal information that you provide through message board discussions, chats, correspondence or dispute resolution.
Registration Information, Site Activity Information and other personal information that you provide may be used in the following ways:
Please see “Communications From the Site and Your Choices” below for information on controlling communications from us.
2. Financial Information . If you list items on the Site, we collect financial information including bank account and/or credit card number, expiration date, card security code and billing address. As noted under “Registration and Site Activity Information” above, we also collect credit card information from those who register using an email address from a free email provider such as Yahoo!™ Mail or Hotmail™ or Google’s Gmail. Financial information is used to bill you for transactions you carry out on the Site and to collect on fees and debts incurred through the use of the Site. If your account is past due and collection must be pursued, your contact and financial information may be shared with collection agents and/or credit reporting agencies. We share financial information with non-affiliated third parties to facilitate the completion of transactions on the Site as specified above, to respond to subpoenas, for other legal compliance purposes, and for billing and collections.
3. Contests and Surveys . If you decide to enter contests or surveys featured from time to time on the Site, you may be asked for personal information in addition to your Registration Information. This information is used in order to administer the contest or survey (for example, to contact the winner) or as otherwise disclosed on the Site at the time we collect the information.
4. Information Requests . We may ask you to provide personal information in order to allow us to respond to your requests for information or other requests made over the Site.
5. Social Media . We may collect your user name and other information you transmit to us over social media platforms such as Facebook® or Twitter® when you interact with GunBroker.com’s specific page or social media account. We use the information you provide on social media to respond to your requests or questions, to improve our services, and for other purposes as disclosed at the time of the interaction.
6. Emails from GunBroker.com . Most email messages generated by the Site result directly from the user's actions (such as registration information, confirmation of placing a bid, confirmation of listing an item, or the user’s choice to subscribe to certain communications), or as necessary to inform you of changes to the Site or events related to the Site, or changes to the Site rules or policies. Other e-mail messages may result from marketing initiatives on the Site; however, users may opt-out of receiving marketing messages; see the section below entitled “Communications from the Site and Your Choices.”
Emails from our Site may contain web beacons or “clear .gifs.” These are small graphic images that can be used for recording when an email has been opened in order to track the performance of email marketing campaigns. We and our third party service providers currently log responses from web beacons, but this information is not stored or linked to your personal information in our systems.
7. Non-personal information . We automatically collect your IP address when you visit our Site. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our Site. Your IP address is used to gather broad demographic information, and to track usage patterns in the Site. We also may collect geo-location information, device identification number and type, computer and connection information, statistics about page views and standard web log information. We do not correlate this information with data about individual users (though our third-party analytics companies and/or advertisers may do so – see below under “Website Analytics” and “Banner Advertising” for your choices in this regard).
You can decide if and how your computer will accept cookies by configuring your preferences option within your web browser. To disable this function in your web browser, choose the “help” menu and follow the instructions for deleting cookies and preventing your browser from downloading additional cookies. If you choose to reject cookies, you can still browse our Site, but you may be unable to post on the Site or use the Site as a buyer or seller, or otherwise to access certain aspects of the services available on the Site. We do not store personal or confidential information in cookies (although our third party advertisers may – see below under “Banner Advertising”)
8. General Uses . In addition to the foregoing, we will use your personal information as specifically described on the Site at the time of collection (for example, to share with a charity in the case of your participation in a charity auction). We may also use your information internally to customize your experience with our company and our Site (for example, adapting the Site to your browser), to help us develop new products and services, to verify your identity, to collect debts or fees owed to us, or to investigate or settle inquiries or disputes, and for other legally required or permissible purposes.
9. Website Analytics. In addition, we have contracted with a number of third party analytics providers to better help us operate the Site, report Site traffic, statistics and other activities on the Site, specifically including the success of advertising campaigns conducted on the Site, By placing cookies on your computer, these services collect information such as how often you visit the Sites, what pages you visit or what banners you “click through,” and the site you were visiting prior to coming to the Site during your visit.
In addition to the information described above, we and our third-party service providers may collect additional information when you utilize any of our mobile applications, including the type of mobile device you use, the temporary or persistent unique device identifiers (sometimes called UDID), the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browsers you use, and information about the way you use our mobile applications.
If you utilize any of the location-based services in our mobile applications, such as the functionality that allows you to search for a participating FFL in your area, we and our third-party service providers may collect, use, and share location data, including the real-time geographic location of your device. We use such information to provide and improve location-based products and services. You may opt-out from further allowing us to have access to your location data by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device .
II. How We Share Your Information
We hire contractors to provide certain services on our behalf, including trend and statistical analysis, marketing campaigns, information processing and storage, and development of new products and services. As part of their services to us, these contractors may have access to some or all of the data that we maintain, including transaction data and your personal information, but they are always required to maintain the confidentiality of information they receive from us and are restricted from using the information for any purposes other than those authorized by us.
We do not share your personal information with any third parties for such third parties’ marketing purposes, unless you have opted into such sharing.
III. Communications From the Site and Your Choices
1. Email Messages from Us. The Site sends three types of email communications: (1) notifications related to activities such as purchases on the Site, (2) 'Saved Search' notifications, and (3) promotional email messages, which may include newsletters or other subscription-based communications, follow-on messages with respect to your activities on the Site, or other marketing from us about our products and services, or those of our affiliates or trusted partners. Please see the descriptions below with respect to your choices for each.
(1) Bids or Purchases on the Site. Notifications related to activity on the Site are generated as a result or registering as a user of the Site, bidding on or purchasing items, or listing items for sale. These notifications can include bid confirmations, winning bidder notices, item listing confirmations, item sold notifications, monthly statements, billing messages, and other notifications related to activity on the Site. You cannot opt out of receiving notifications related to transaction activity on the Site ; however, if you do not bid nor list items and your account balance is zero you will not receive any such notifications from the Site.
If you are a registered buyer or seller on the Site we may send you certain notices, such as notices of a substantial change in the policies and/or operation of the Site. These notices are sent infrequently and cannot be opted out of other than by closing your account with us.
(2) Saved Search. Saved Search notifications are generated at your request to inform you when items matching certain search criteria have been listed on the Site. There are removal instructions at the bottom of every such notification message. You can delete your saved searches to stop receiving the notifications by going to then clicking Saved Searches . Removal instructions appear on that page.
(3) Promotional Messages. GunBroker.com may send a variety of promotional messages, but you are free to opt out of these at any time. Some promotional emails relate to newsletters or other subscription-based items that you may control by logging into My GunBroker and visiting the Preferences page to update your choices with respect to promotional emails You may also and follow the instructions on the subsequent pages to opt out, or follow the instructions provided on the promotional message at issue.
2. Cookies and Third Party Tracking. As noted above under “Website Analytics” and below under “Banner Advertising,” we contract with third party service providers and advertising companies who provide us information on the use of the Sites by visitors and the success of our advertising campaigns. As described in those sections, you may visit certain designated Web sites in order to opt out of tracking of your activities on the Sites and other Web sites.
IV. Children’s Privacy
The Site is not intended for or directed to persons less than 18 years of age. We do not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from or about children, and we do not knowingly market our services to children. If you are under 18 years of age, do not use the Site.
V. For Persons Outside the United States
The Site has reasonable security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. When you submit sensitive information via our Sites, such as credit card information, that information is subject to secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology. However, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information during transmission, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from us. We urge you to take steps to keep your personal information safe (including your account password), log out of your account after use, and close your web browser. If you do share your password or personal information with anyone, you are responsible for all actions taken in your account’s name. If you lose control of your password, you may lose considerable control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Because of this, if the security of your password has been compromised in any way, you are responsible for immediately notifying us and for changing your password.
You can review your personal information by logging into our Site, and you should act to update it promptly upon changes in your personal information or to correct any errors in it. You might not be able to alter or delete a public posting once you make it. At your request, we will close your account and make your personal information not publicly viewable as soon as reasonably possible, in accordance with applicable law.
X. Contacting Us
You may review, update and modify your Registration Information by logging in and visiting My GunBroker / Account Info on the Site. You may also change your communications preferences by visiting My GunBroker / Preferences in order to unsubscribe from or opt in to certain email communications from the Site.
If you have any concern about the privacy practices of the Site, please contact us at following address with a detailed description, and we will try to resolve it.
Effective Date: December 31, 2015
Copyright © 2015 GunBroker.com, LLC